Sunday, January 16, 2011

Inequality

This is me ranting for a second-->




 I know I've said this before, but I want to reemphasize.


 I know that as an American my life is better than most of the world. I also realize that America is going through a challenging time right now. Millions of people have lost their jobs or taken serious pay cuts and are struggling to make ends meet. There are thousands of people living on the street, and countless children are hungry everyday. While these realities within our own country are disheartening, I still cannot begin to compare our hardships with those in impoverished countries across the globe. My soul aches for the people of Haiti who are at war with the cholera epidemic. A natural disaster killing a quarter million people was not the end of their story, the situation has continued to worsen as they don't have the sanitary infrastructure in place to keep their citizens healthy. It is a tragedy when the streets you are forced to live in are filled with a bacterium that can kill you unless you are able to receive rehydration therapy or antibiotics- which many people do not. And while Haiti's reality is striking and painful, their country is not an anomaly. Millions of people around the globe are victims of our global economy. These are the people who farm our coffee beans, sew together our shoes, suffer for our imperialism. Yes, as Americans we may struggle, but most of us do not understand the true depravity that the rest of the world experiences on a daily basis. For them, there is no escape. So as we pray for our lives to once again feel comfortable, please keep in mind those whose lives may never know comfort. 

God's love does not have national boarders. 


Photo by James Nachtwey

No comments:

Post a Comment